Monday, October 6, 2008

Kristy Lee Cook CD Review: You Might Want to Sit Down

You guys might want to sit down because I’m about to say something pretty shocking.

Not only did I not hate Kristy Lee Cook’s debut CD, “Why Wait,” I actually kind of liked it.

See, I told you it was shocking…

Believe me. I had every intention of hating it. After all, I hated Kristy Lee enough while she was on “Idol.” But darn it all if the fine folks at Arista Nashville didn’t actually put together a pretty good CD that manages to play to Kristy Lee’s strengths instead of expose her weaknesses.

The CD kicks off with the song I haven’t been able to get out of my head for days, the first single, “15 Minutes of Shame.” Although I think Kristy Lee lacks a little of the grit this song needs, it is unbelievably catchy…

“Why Wait” has a real Carrie Underwood sound to it, but Kristy Lee manages to carry it off without shrieking…

“Like My Mother Does” has a great sound, but the song’s lyrics do it in…

“Hoping to Find” shows off KLC’s vocal imperfections more than the others with a way too low (and not very catchy) chorus…

“Baby Believe” starts off fairly blah, but it builds up to a pretty good sweet little chorus…

“Not Tonight” was co-written by Carrie Underwood, and although KLC carries it off adequately, I can’t help but wonder why Carrie didn’t keep this one for herself because she would’ve hit it out of the park. And it’s more radio friendly than half of the songs on Carrie’s last CD. I would go with this one for the next single…

“Plant the Seed” is as sunshine and rose petals as you can get, but somehow it works with a catchy tune and a soaring chorus…

“I Think Too Much” is a cutesy tune that suits KLC’s voice well…

“Homesick” is another song that gets off to a blah start then hits a classic, soaring chorus…

The CD closes with “God Bless the USA” and although it’s a nice restrained cover, it still smacks of pandering…

It’s clear that Arista is looking for the next Carrie Underwood and they haven’t found her. But I would say they’ve found a decent facsimile until the next one does come along.

In fact, I would describe the entire CD as Carrie Underwood-lite…

Which is still better than I would have ever imagined…

“Why Wait” is available now…

Photo Credit: Sony BMG Nashville