Monday, July 20, 2009

Is Paula Really Leaving "Idol"?

For whatever reason, I didn’t even turn on my computer Saturday. But when I checked in with my Twitter page Sunday night, I could tell that something was up in the “Idol” universe…

No doubt you’ve heard the murmurs today that Paula Abdul will not be back on “American Idol.” You may have even seen the headline on the front page of the H-D online earlier today.

So is Paula leaving? As the adage goes, don’t believe everything you read…

I’m not saying that the Associated Press doesn’t know what it’s talking about. I’m saying that Paula’s manager may be using it to get what he wants for his client…

After all, do you think it’s a coincidence that this story appears just one week after Ryan Seacrest signed his three-year $45 million deal? I don’t think so…

All of this started Friday night, when the “LA Times” website quoted Paula’s manager as saying, “Very sadly, it does not appear that she's going to be back on ‘Idol.’”

He said that he had reached out to the people at 19 to let them know that Paula would love to stay on the show and they said they would be in touch. But according to him, they haven’t been.

Fast forward to the weekend where a Twitter movement began among Paula fans showing their support for her staying on the show. Among the fans were a slew of former Idols, Ryan Seacrest and former executive producer, Nigel Lythgoe. Even Simon Cowell came out in support of her today in an interview with “Extra.”

Somewhere, Paula’s manager is sporting a big smile…

Because with every single tweet, he has one more piece of ammo to use in his fight against 19 and FOX.

Personally, I hope it’s a fight he wins because I can’t imagine “Idol” without Paula.

Now, without Kara? I can definitely imagine that. In fact, I encourage it…

What do you guys think? Would you be okay with a Paula-less “Idol”?

Photo Credit: FOX