Thursday, September 10, 2009

Is "Idol" About to Jump the Shark?

I have to admit that I’m still in kind of a haze today…

I keep thinking this whole Ellen thing is just one big joke. But it isn’t. It’s absolutely, 100 percent real…

And in my opinion, it could mean the end of “American Idol” as we know it. Seriously…

Again, let me say that I think Ellen is a wonderful talk show host and a very funny comedian. I’ve applauded every single Emmy win she has. And I think her American Express commercials are first rate…

But as a judge on “American Idol”?

I didn’t see her stint as a guest judge on “So You Think You Can Dance” a few months ago, but everything I’ve heard about it confirms my worst fears about this whole thing…

I’m afraid that she will try so hard to be funny that the actual point of the show will get lost. Because you know that Ryan isn’t going to just stand back and watch someone else get all of the best jokes…

So, he’ll have to try and be funnier. And then Simon will have to outdo him. And then Kara will have to outdo Simon and then it will be all about the judges instead of who it should be about—the contestants.

And Ellen is the queen of nice. So if someone botches a performance is she really going to be able to tell the truth or will she just crack some unnecessary joke instead?

There’s an old expression in the TV business that when a show reaches the point where it’s no longer watchable, it is said to have jumped the shark. It comes from a “Happy Days” episode where Fonzie, on water skis, literally jumped a shark.

Well, I believe that Simon Fuller, Mike Darnell and all of the people at “Idol” and FOX are starting up that boat and Ellen is readying her skis. And that makes me sadder than I can even tell you…

I guess the phenomenon had to end sometime…