Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Triumphant Return of Nigel

Over the years, I have had my problems with “Idol” executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. I haven’t always liked his style. And I have still not forgiven him for his blatant sabotage of Syesha Mercado in order to get a David vs. David finale in Season 7.

But I must admit that there was something about his presence at the press conference yesterday that I actually enjoyed. He was downright blunt about the problems of the show—even with the producer of the two previous seasons setting right next to him. He took shots at Miley Cyrus as a mentor, at past Idol winners (saying that after Kelly and Carrie you run out of Idols), and he took shots at contestants last season who just stood and played the guitar.

He pulled no punches yesterday. And honestly, he doesn’t need to. He has been brought in as the show’s savior and he knows it. He probably was pushed out of the show and now they’ve come crawling back.

I have to admit. I’m a little jealous about that…

I’m sure at some point he’ll do something to tick me off. But at this point, I’m on Team Nigel.

And if he actually gives the show the renaissance he’s promising, I might even forgive him for that Syesha mess…maybe…

Photo Credit: Frank Micelotta/FOX