Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What Was Up With Paula?

As you've noticed, I've steered clear of the whole "Is Paula doing drugs?" controversy. After all, her loopiness is part of the fun and I've been willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

But last night, which showed the Birmingham auditions, there was definitely something wrong.

Our first indication was when she ran away from the table during the first audition. She had sat through numerous contestants doing the same thing. Why was that one any different? Then, she called Bernard's performance "off-key"--which it was not. And what about her giddy freakout when Chris sang "A Kiss From a Rose." I know Paula probably likes that song since Constantine did it, and it was good, but it did not deserve that strange outpouring of enthusiasm.

I know that Ryan's voiceover said that Paula had a family commitment in Hollywood that made her miss day two, but I have to wonder if maybe something else was going on...