Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Final Word on Carly


If you’ve been reading this blog over the past few weeks, you know that I don’t like Carly Smithson.

But I think it’s a pretty safe bet that she’ll sail into the top 12 and there’s not a dang thing I can do about it. And if I don’t find a way to get over my distaste of her, the whole season will be ruined for me.

So, I decided to write one more post about Carly and then move on.

But before I could get my thoughts down, a longtime reader sent me this interesting thought:

If she's actually good, why do I have to be cheated out of hearing her because
MCA couldn't find an intelligent marketing or accounting staff?

As much as I hate to admit it, I can kind of see her point…

And let’s face it. If I disliked every contestant with some kind of professional past, I would dislike almost all of them. David A. won “Star Search.” Both Kristy Lee and Michael had deals. And you know big bucks were shelled out on Robbie’s band, Boyz and Girlz United, since they toured with Britney.

Plus, the truth is that if it weren’t for my insatiable need to find out everything about every contestant (I do it for you, you know.), I wouldn’t have any reason to dislike Carly so much.

On second thought, I really dislike those tattoos…

Maybe my biggest problem with Carly is something she’s not even responsible for—the way the show presents her. The producers think she’s good so they’ve been a little less than forthcoming about her recording past to keep people from turning against her, and that irritates me.

And I think it’s safe to say that I’m not alone since Simon completely took her to task after last week’s performance. I’m not sure if Simon was just acknowledging the controversy or if he was actually trying to turn America against her. It’s possible he was just trying to knock her down to size since the performance really wasn’t all that great. Whatever his reasoning, I just really appreciated it…

My faithful reader made one more comment that really resonated with me:

I'd rather have someone like her who appreciates and is grateful for being in
the competition than say the guy who shall not be named who thought he was too
good for it.

She’s referring, of course, to Mario Vasquez (who I refer to as He Who Shall Not Be Named), who dropped out of the competition. I know there’s a story about a sexual harassment claim, but I believe he didn’t want to tie himself down with a contract to 19.

The point is that Carly is truly grateful for a second chance and she is willing to go through the entire strain of the competition to get it. I guess I can actually respect that.

So, I will continue to harbor my distaste for Carly and will celebrate when she is finally eliminated. But in the meantime, I promise to judge her as fairly as possible.

You guys, however, are not bound by this promise and are welcome to trash her as much as you’d like…