Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ace Young CD Review: A Little Disappointed


You know that I’m a big fan of Ace Young, so I was looking forward to his debut CD, “Ace Young.”

But after hearing it, I have to say I’m a little disappointed.

Don’t get me wrong. The CD does have its good points. There just aren’t as many as I was hoping for…

The CD kicks off in a great way with “Addicted.” Why more radio stations aren’t playing this one is totally beyond me…

“The Letter” is a moody number with a story (and sound) along the lines of “Billie Jean”…
The new single, “A Hard Hand to Hold,” starts out kind of blah, but it manages to gain some steam toward the end…

“You Redeem Me” is a pretty ballad, but it kind of loses its way toward the end. And in all honesty, it sounds more like David Cook than Ace Young…

“Where Will You Go” is cute and catchy, while “Fast Life” sounds like a copy of an 80s R&B song—just not a really great one…

“Young Money” comes off as cheesy and Ace is trying way too hard to work in the falsetto…
“How You Gonna Spend Your Life” has some pretty sappy lyrics, but I’m a sucker for a sweeping chorus…

“The Girl That Got Away” is cute, but doesn’t have a lot of substance…

“Dirty Mind” has a great beat, but it’s doomed by its silly lyrics…

The Lionel Richie-esque “The Gift” closes the CD out…

Since I’m an Ace fan, I’m still going to buy this one. I just wish it had some stronger songs to set it apart from all the other bubblegum pop that’s already out there…

Plus, just once, I’d like to see one of my Idol guys succeed. I don’t really think this one will make that happen…

“Ace Young” hits stores Tuesday, July 15th. You can listen for yourself here.

Be sure to let me know what you think…
Photo courtesy of Universal Music Group