Thursday, January 6, 2011

EW Talks to The New Team Idol

The “exclusive” stories continue to be posted on the Internet. This time, it’s another one from “Entertainment Weekly.”

They’ve posted a look at their “exclusive” round table interview with Randy Jackson, Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Ryan Seacrest from this week’s cover story.

Here’s a taste of what the group had to say:

Randy on getting to speak last, i.e. the Simon spot: “Look, he’s irreplaceable. It’s not about replacing him or any of the others: Paula, Ellen, Kara, anybody else. People have been saying to us, ‘Who’s mean?’ We’ve all traded off on that because I think you have to always give people the truth, no matter what.”

JLo on how the panel works: “We’re more of a collaborative judging group. We’re always leaning over to each other and saying, ‘Oh my God, I think she’s good.’ ‘Oof, I don’t get it.’ ‘You don’t like it?’ I mean, not in a way where it becomes disrespectful to [the contestant’s] moment, but we discuss things. We just have a totally different style than any of the past judging tables.”

Steven Tyler on Kid Rock’s comments that doing “Idol” was the stupidest thing he’d ever done: “I just went with my heart. Kid Rock—he has an album coming out. He’s a good friend of mine. I went to a picnic with him and he taught me how to fry a turkey. I only hope that he’s not frying his own turkey with [that comment]. It’s his opinion.”

The group on Joe Perry saying “Idol” was one step above “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”: Ryan: “That’s giving us credit.” Randy: “That’s giving us a lot of credit.” Steven: “You know, uh, he wishes he could have got this gig [laughter]. All I’m doing here is being a musician and reflecting what my career has been. That’s all that’s really going on here.”

Ryan on his repartee with Simon: “I think the reason that Simon and I had that dynamic is that he was just so jealous of me. From day one, he was envious of my career at such a young age. So I tried to make it as fun as possible and as lighthearted as possible. It’s just something that happens in a live television show. But with all of us, we have very good senses of humor; we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We like to wind each other up.”

Steven’s predictions on the season: “It’s just astounding; some of them are 15 and look like they’re 30, and some of them are 30 and look like they’re 15. It’s just amazing how the youngest of them all came out with bravado, came out with moxie, came out with balls and chutzpah and felt like they’ve been around here for 30 years. So we throw the drift net out and look what comes up? Gold. [I’m] crying, honestly, from someone who hit the notes so sweetly and beautifully, not just that it’s the end of the day and thank God this motherf---er is the last one. Not that.” Ryan: “See? It’s going to be an all-new show.”

You can read more here.
Photo Credit: Entertainment Weekly