Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Orleans Recap: “What is this show?”

New Orleans was a little strange for “American Idol” tonight, prompting Randy to say numerous times, “What is this show?”

If I were answering him, I would say that it is a much friendlier version of the show we know and love. And I dare say it’s actually more fun.

Could it be that as entertaining as Simon’s barbs were all those years, he was actually holding the show back? Did I actually just write that?

What is this blog?

The show started on a rather auspicious note as Blake Patterson took out his frustrations about not making it to Hollywood on a piano as he cried/sang “Smile.” It looked like a scene from a movie where the guy gets depressed and has too much to drink. It was actually a pretty good opening…

The show is having so much fun this year, we even got to see Ryan Seacrest bloopers. They were from Season 4 (the last time “Idol” was in New Orleans), but they were still bloopers…

The first singer was Jordan Dorsey, a 21-year-old vocal and piano teacher, who did “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and was quickly put through. He was so awesome, I’ve put him on my list of people to watch. “Idol” could use a young R&B artist in the vein of Bruno Mars or Jason Derulo…
After a montage of bad singers—Wow, “And I Am Telling You” is a popular audition choice this year—we got Sarah Sellers and her big lips, which Steven loved. All of the judges loved her mega-confident rendition of “Make You Feel My Love” and she went through…

Jovany Barreto, a 23-year-old shipbuilder, sang something in Spanish very well that Steven called “very delicious.” But he’ll probably be better known for winning a bet with a friend by taking his shirt off. He probably wasn’t counting on Steven and Randy joining him…

Simon and Randy seemed to always get along very well, but it’s clear that Steven and Randy have a much more positive, friendly vibe going on. I’m starting to think I don’t miss Simon at all…

What did I just say? What is this blog?

We got to meet Randy’s brother, Herman, since Randy was born in nearby Baton Rouge. Jacquelyn Dupree took Randy down memory lane by bringing him pictures of him from high school. She also brought along Randy’s old football coach before singing “I’ll Stand By You” for her ticket to Hollywood. I thought she had a real Carrie Underwood tone to her voice…

Also adding their name to my Watchlist was 16-year-old Brett Loewenstern. We saw Brett’s story of being “different” and always getting picked on as a kid, which I guess I probably related to. But then we got to hear him nail “Bohemian Rhapsody” with a Jason Mraz-like voice. The judges loved him too and sent him through overwhelmingly…

Gabriel Franks, 24, actually won a Steven Tyler look-alike contest, but his audition was just scary as he yelled through “Bad Romance.” However, he did handle his rejection gracefully…

Alex Attardo was a former “Idol Camp”-er, but clearly he didn’t learn anything as he destroyed “Proud Mary”…

15-year-old Jacee Badeaux looked every bit of 12, but he sounded just like Justin Bieber as he belted out “Sittin’ On the Dock of the Bay.” I think I saw dollar signs flash in Randy’s eyes for a second. I worry, though, that Hollywood will chew him up and spit him out…

The final contestant we saw tonight was 23-year-old Paris Tassin. When she was pregnant, she was told her child had hydrocephalus and that she shouldn’t have her at all. But she did, and now her child is healthy, but with hearing problems. Paris brought every ounce of that emotion to “Temporary Home,” bringing JLo to tears before getting put through. At the end of the show, we saw JLo meeting Paris’ little girl in one of the more touching moments I think I’ve ever seen on the show…

In all, 37 people got a golden ticket. And next week, the show makes its first trip ever to Milwaukee. I’m actually looking forward to it.

Wait! What did I just say? What is this blog?

See you Wednesday…

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX