Sunday, July 22, 2007

Constantine Recap: In One Word--Lame

In an interview with “Entertainment Weekly” this week, Constantine said, “I say it’s cool to be cheesy. But also look at Boston Conservatory, [the] “Rent” [tour], record entrepreneur, classical actor. You can see all sides of it. As long as they’re talking about me, that’s all that matters.”

I’m glad that Constantine is okay with being cheesy, because that is exactly how I would describe his “Bold and the Beautiful” experience.

Actually, I think lame might be a better word…

You may have noticed that I haven’t given you a Constantine recap in a while and that’s because there hasn’t really been that much to say since “B&B” has been focusing on other (and better) storylines. But last week, Constantine’s story came back into the spotlight, and produced some of the lamest stuff I have ever seen on a soap opera…

Rick, Constantine and Phoebe agreed to a duet contest at Insomnia. If Rick and Phoebe won, Constantine would give up on trying to sign Phoebe to his label. If Constantine and Phoebe won (which is what she was hoping for), Rick would back off and let Phoebe work with him. But after a TOTALLY lame audience vote, it was declared a tie. Even more lame.

Don’t believe me? Check out the duets for yourself on YouTube…



And then the “vote”…



If you watch the second video, you’ll see that at the end of the episode, Constantine’s story FINALLY took a good direction—the direction I had been rooting for all along. But there are things happening with Rick and Phoebe’s story that could totally derail his momentum. I’ll keep you posted…

Also in the “EW” interview, Constantine discussed his career. He had a major label deal with Atlantic, but it fell through. Then there was the ABC sitcom produced by Kelsey Grammer that didn’t make it to pilot stage (Constantine said he had to take the chance.), followed by stints on and off Broadway, and now “B&B.” “I’ve taken the time to consciously build a career. I wanted to do Broadway. I wanted to do soap operas. I wanted to start my own label. I wanted to host and write. There were all these ‘I wannas’ and I got to do them all.”

Constantine, I love you, but I don’t believe for a second that your career went exactly the way you wanted…

“Constantine,” his CD, hits stores August 7th. He paid for all aspects of the production himself. When asked if he was concerned about the album’s sales, he responded, “If we can sell enough to continue making records and stay on the road long enough to get more people into the music…that’s the goal. Numbers are irrelevant now. It’s about who your target audience is and trying to move them. I’m realistic. I know I’m not going to be like the major artists out there. I think that’s so silly when artists talk about [how much they’ll sell]…

Not sure if I believe that one either…