Monday, December 15, 2008

“Idol” Finally Gives Me What I Want

Allow me to interrupt your dreary Monday morning with the first news of the changes that will be made to this season’s edition of “American Idol.”

And let me just say that I am extremely happy about them…

USAToday.com is reporting that 36 contestants will be chosen for the semifinals instead of 24 and for the first time since season three, the Wild Card round will return as the judges will choose three wild cards for the top 12 (You may recall that’s how we got Clay Aiken.).

We’ll get six male and six female contestants performing each week for three weeks with the top male and female vote-getters and the next highest vote-getter (whether male or female) moving on to the top 12 (No more dramatic top 12 revelation episode with the urinal chairs? Awww…). Then the judges will choose which semi-finalists to bring back for the wild card round.

The website is also reporting that we will get only three weeks of auditions, allowing the show to add a second Hollywood week.

WOO-HOO! FINALLY! I’ve only been asking for that for years now…

Plus, the dreaded group numbers (my favorite part) will return during the Hollywood rounds.

AND, “Idol Gives Back” will take the year off.

Are you kidding me? That’s awesome!!!

For those of you who are long time fans, you know this is “Idol” as it used to be before it got to be all hype. So I have to say that I am more excited about this season than I have been in a long time…

Could this really be the best year of “Idol” ever?

I’m thinking it’s quite possible. Just 29 more days to go…

I now return you to your regularly scheduled day…