Saturday, February 26, 2011

How Many Finalists Will There Be?

It’s almost like “American Idol” has turned into the CIA this season…

As I had told you a few weeks ago, “Idol” was planning on a Top 20 with America voting the next week on the top five girls and top five guys. The judges would then add as many wild cards as they felt necessary.

But then they went with a top 24, so I figured that meant American would vote on the top six girls and six guys with no wild cards. But when the Top 24 press release came out, there was no mention of the number of finalists.

So I asked. And here is what I was told by an “Idol” publicist: “as for the total number, historically it has been a Top 12.”

Historically? Hmmm…

So, I asked again. This time, getting more specific. Would it be six and six or was it not set in stone yet? And the answer I got: “Not set in stone.”

Interesting…

The details will no doubt come out in the next few days, so why the mystery on Friday? I have no idea, but I can’t help but wonder if there’s still some tweaking going on behind the scenes…

Stay Tuned…

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX