Monday, August 31, 2009

Megan Joy: "I'm going to do it all"

A friend of mine told me they would’ve loved to have seen my face when I realized I had to talk to Megan Joy. I’d like to think I kept my poker face on, but it was probably pretty close…

You know that Megan was my least favorite contestant from last season and since I’ve heard her do press interviews before, I know she doesn’t say much, so I struggled a little bit to find something to talk to her about. Bur if Slezak can sit down with Danny Gokey, I could handle Megan.

But in all honesty, it seemed like that publicist would never come around to give me my signal…

Megan is a nice person. I just couldn’t get that ridiculous cawing out of my head when I saw her, although I was briefly distracted by her afro—which in the press room looked cute, but on stage didn’t quite work…

Angela: So I know there’s not any question I can ask you that you haven’t been asked a zillion times…

Megan: Probably not

A: So bear with me. What’s been the best thing about the tour so far?

M: Um, the number one best thing is knowing that I get to go home and move out of my mom’s house and take care of my son on my own. But also just knowing that I can do anything I want and my dream came true.

A: How’s it been for you and your family. Is your son with you on tour?

M: On and off, but not nearly enough sadly. It’s been really hard. One of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life, but it’s worth it.

A: So I would think that once you get on stage that makes you feel better about it.

M: Oh yeah. I mean when I’m on stage I’m a different person. We just all—I don’t even know how to describe it.

A: See now, that was my next question. Describe for me when you hit that stage in a new city each night, what’s the feeling?

M: It’s incredible. I mean, thousands of people screaming your name and just stoked to be there. All of our sets are different so you can’t really compare us to each other. We’re not anything like each other. We’re out there doing what we love, we throw a splash of our own flavor in the mix and it’s amazing. It feels incredible.

A: Is it everything you imagined, more than you imagined?

M: I never even tried to imagine it before, so yeah, it’s incredible. I don’t even know how to explain it.

A: You were the one, I mean you weren’t the confident singer. I mean, everyone told you that you were a good singer, but you were like I’m not so sure, but now here you are in front of all these thousands of people, so it’s really a change for you.

M: Yeah, I was just going to be a stay-at-home mom, so I’m just stoked to get to do what I love and be with my son.

A: Got any idea what the future holds after the tour?

M: I’m going to be modeling, I’ve got TV shows in the works and I have a band started, so I’m going to do it all.

A: Wow, that’s a lot. You’re going to be a regular renaissance woman?

M: Yep.

A: Now, I realize this is for print and I have no pictures but I would be very remiss if I didn’t ask you about your most identifiable thing. [Looking at the tattoo that takes up most of her right arm] know it tells a story. Tell me a little bit about it.

M: It’s my castle. It’s my fairytale in stained glass in the windows. There’s me and Prince Charming isn’t colored, because I don’t know who he is yet. Cheesy, but this is how I live. Then my mom, my brother and my son and my dad. Classic stained glass because I love it.

A: [Pointing at the portion of the tattoo under Megan’s arm] And that’s the part that’s not done yet?

M: No, this isn’t done because it’s incredibly painful and I’ve been too busy. But he’s not colored, just because I don’t know. So he’s the only thing that will remain uncolored.

A: Well that makes sense. That’s very cool. So, for anybody who will be reading this later, what’s something that you want people to know about Megan that maybe we don’t know, maybe we haven’t heard?

M: Um, I don’t know. Everyone’s pretty much heard everything out of my mouth. Um, stay tuned. I’m not going anywhere.

A: Will there be any cawing on stage tonight?

M: I always caw.

A: Okay, I’ll look forward to seeing it. It’s always exciting here in this opening stage, because you’ve got so much ahead of you so you’re probably anxious to get it started.

M: We’re ready to go home. We love it, and luckily we love each other which is key to enjoying this whole tour, but we’re all so fortunate that we all just get along.

A: Honestly?

M: Honestly.

A: Do the guys like to play pranks on the girls?

M: We’re the pranksters. And the boys aren’t into it at all, so we prank the band.

A: Because usually there are one or two pranksters, so this time it’s the girls.

M: Us three girls against the band.

A: Is it tough with just three girls and the rest guys?

M: No, because our personalities are so big. We are inseparable and we’re like a big huge force.

A: What’s the best moment on the tour for you so far that you can think of?

M: I can’t think of one specific moment. It’s all been incredible and something I’ll never, ever, ever forget.

A: Are you keeping a diary or a scrapbook or anything so you can remember all this?

M: Yep, all sorts of memorabilia.

A: Because it will be great for your son to see later.

M: Absolutely.

A: I look forward to seeing you at the show tonight. It was nice to meet you.

M: Nice meeting you.