Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Top 12 Women: A League of Their Own

After the universally panned show last night (regardless of what Ryan said), the girls knew they had to bring it.

And for the most part they did, making some people question the whole six girls, six guys rules for the top 12…

Let’s take a closer look…

Stephanie Edwards, “How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore”: 18
This was probably a little generous, but it was so different from anything we heard last night. And I had to give her a 5 in stage presence after she fell to her knees. I also gave her a 5 for song choice, because unlike most of the guys last night, she stayed true to who she is.

Amy Krebs, “I Can’t Make You Love Me”: 14
Sorry, Amy, but Constantine closed the book on this one two years ago. She has a great tone to her voice, but there were too many runs and it was just too pitchy.

Leslie Hunt, “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman”: 13
Not only did Leslie have to take on Aretha, she had to take on Kelly Clarkson, who rocked this one in season one. This score is probably a little harsh, but I have to agree with Simon that she seemed completely uncomfortable. Her body movements were all over the place.

Sabrina Sloan, “I Never Loved a Man (the Way I Love You)”: 19
As I was watching her audition tapes, I was trying to figure out how she got here. She certainly answered my question. As she told Ryan, she definitely did her homework and picked just the right song. I would’ve given her a perfect score if she could’ve hit the low notes as well as she hit the high ones.

Antonella Barba, “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing”: 11
Many websites have picked her as the first to go, and she didn’t do anything to prove them wrong tonight. This score may have been a little harsh because I can’t stand this song. But you know it’s a bad performance when Paula plays the “You look beautiful” card.

Jordin Sparks, “Give Me One Reason”: 19
When we first met 17-year-old Jordin, I was concerned we had another Lisa Tucker on our hands (That’s not a compliment, by the way.), but the amount of stage presence Jordin has is just ridiculous. And I love her personality, so I may have been just a tad generous.

Nicole Tranquillo, ‘Stay”: 9
What was that?! I guess she was trying to sound like Chaka Khan with all that weird intonation in her voice, but she failed miserably. And she had zero stage presence with all those weird jerky movements.

Haley Scarnato, “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now”: 15
When I heard Celine, I got worried, but I actually like this song—even though it gives me flashbacks to that weird Meatloaf moment in last season’s finale. The problem with Haley is that her voice is too polished, with too much vibrato. She hit all the right notes, it just wasn’t anything special. But if I was still judging appearance, she’d get a 5 for that great outfit.

Melinda Doolittle, “Since You’ve Been Gone”: 20
My first perfect score of the season. I originally had a 4 in stage presence to reflect her small lack of confidence, but after she didn’t miss a single note, I had to change it.

Alaina Alexander, “Brass In Pocket”: 13
What a horrible choice of song! With that breathy voice, Alaina had nowhere near the vocal chops to pull this one off. And I’m sorry, Ryan; but Simon was right. You were flirting with her. I had actually made that same note on my scoring sheet just before Simon mentioned it. And yes, I think Ryan was a little upset by that one. The truth hurts.

Gina Glocksen, “All By Myself”: 17
This was a nice surprise for me. She didn’t totally pull it off, but it was pretty good.

Lakisha Jones, “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going”: 20
Talk about gutsy! Ladies and gentlemen, you have just met your frontrunner. But remember, those theme nights have tripped up good singers before.

So who’s going home? For me, this is an easy call—Antonella and Nicole. But Amy and Leslie are also possibilities.

One thing is for certain. If things stay the way they are, this year’s winner will most certainly be a girl. Wouldn’t you love to see a Melinda vs. Lakisha finale?

I know I’m getting ahead of myself. Remember what I said about theme nights…

Tomorrow’s results show begins at 8 p.m., followed by the series finale of “The O.C.” at 9. Fantasia will perform, probably so we’ll remember who she is. Ryan promised a big announcement, but he also promised us one of our favorite “Idol” alumni, so we’ll take it for what it’s worth…

Allow me to end this post by borrowing Ryan’s close tonight…

I’ve been Angela Henderson and you’ve been great…