Thursday, March 1, 2007

America Gets It Wrong...

I hate to criticize America, but you got it wrong this week…

I know that because Antonella and Sanjaya survived.

It’s official. We have met the new Jasmine Trias and Kevin Covais…

If you missed it, we said goodbye to Nick, Alaina, A.J. and Leslie. I picked Alaina to go home and I wasn’t a big fan of A.J. or Leslie, but Nick? You know I thought he brought it with his version of “Fever.”

The night’s events completely stunned Sanjaya, devastated Sundance, Gina and Jordin and forced Paula to bring out the “It’s a singing competition” speech a little earlier than usual.

But here’s an important reminder for Jordin fans: Just because she was one of the last two girls standing does NOT mean she was in the bottom two. That’s just how they decided to dramatize it tonight. We don’t learn the actual bottom two until we get to the top 12.

There were also a few moments that will once again have people criticizing making the eliminated contestants sing. Alaina was so overcome with emotion that she asked the other girls to join her, and then just let the background singers take care of it. Instead of her atrocious scatting, Leslie sang, “Why did I decide to scat? I don’t even really care for jazz.” And for the first time, we heard the same song from two eliminated contestants—the ironically named “Feelin’ Good.”

I’m just waiting for the night when a contestant curses…

One person that should be glad she’s no longer competing is Kellie Pickler, who sang a completely blah “I Wonder,” her new single. I really didn’t like her short hair and she apparently lost the top of her dress. I don’t think Ryan looked her in the eye once…

Next week, we finally get down to the Top 12 and then things get interesting, I hope…