Saturday, March 31, 2007

Chris Sligh: "I actually almost dropped out."

Right after I posted Chris’ thoughts on his elimination from his “Entertainment Weekly” interview, I saw this tidbit from the Associated Press:

Chris considered quitting. “I never came into this wanting to win it. I made the Top Ten. That was my goal.”

Chris expanded his thoughts to “People,” saying he considered dropping out after he was “universally trashed” for his arrangement of “Endless Love.” He said it was frustrating for him because “the judges never commented on [his] voice. Just at least say, ‘You have great vocals but I didn’t like the arrangement.’ It was never that.” Chris said his frustrations were solidified by the reaction to “Love.”

“I went to the guy from 19 (Entertainment) and I said, ‘Can I still go on the tour if I drop out?’ and he said, ‘No.’”

Chris wanted to be on the tour so he could “make music for [his] living” and not have to go back to work at the marketing company back home. The “Idol” tour comes with a nice paycheck for the Top 10 Idols…

This season just gets weirder, doesn’t it?