Thursday, March 26, 2009

Did America Get It Right?

It’s at this time every week that I ask the question, did America get it right? But this week there’s a bigger question that needs answered…

Let me tackle that first one first, however. Yes, I believe America did get it right. Michael did not give the worst performance last night, but Simon was right when he told him he had no chance of winning. And, more importantly, he was ready to go…

Now to that bigger question. Were the judges actually considering using their save on Michael? I just re-watched those final moments and it could have all just been for drama, but it appears to me that Kara was seriously considering it and she was trying to convince Randy, Paula and Simon…

As I mentioned in my recap, Paula was up dancing throughout the entire song, which in this case is usually her way of celebrating the contestant before they say goodbye. I don’t think she thought for a second they were going to use a save. Simon and Randy appeared to be possibly deliberating, but I think they were probably just making after-show plans. And even Kara seemed too busy dancing to seriously consider keeping Michael.

But at the very last moment, because Michael gave a good performance, Kara had second thoughts and she started trying to convince Paula and Simon. It was not until Simon said they hadn’t decided yet that Randy came over because I believe he thought it had already been decided. And I think Simon put Paula on the spot with “yes or no?” because he had thought she was in agreement as well.

Because they were out of time—and I don’t believe Simon would have given in anyway—Simon delivered a verdict. I think the “no, don’t” you heard was from both Paula and Kara.

So did the judges get it right? Yes, they did. I don’t believe Michael was worth using the save for, even though I like Michael. He was ready to go AND they may need that save further down the line. Especially if the producers keep giving that first slot to talented singers.

And regardless of what Simon said, I have to believe they would have saved Matt. I think the other three would have railroaded him into it…

So now we move on to next week. I have not heard what the theme is, but I still think it will be something to go along with the premiere of “The Osbournes: Reloaded.” Although that show scares me a little, I’m happy about its premiere, because that means “Idol” will only be an hour next week.

I could use the break…

What do you guys think? Did America get it right? Did the judges?...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to return the call I ignored during the show. Don't worry. It was my dad. He understands...