Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Day After

So last night after I turned my computer off, I rewound the tape and watched Adam Lambert’s performance again. Only this time, I watched it with my eyes closed so I would only hear his vocal. And you know what? I really liked it. In fact, I’ll be downloading it from iTunes when it becomes available later today.

For weeks I’ve been saying that there’s something about Adam that bothers me and now I know what it is—it’s him. Last night’s bold performance was hurt by Adam’s constant mugging for the camera that made the whole performance seem cheesy. And the show didn’t do him any favors with the graphics, lighting and direction. But Adam’s vocal was spot on and although I didn’t vote for him, I really hope a lot of people did. You could not have the tour without him.

So who will we have the tour without? This, folks, is where it gets interesting…

Last night I boldly predicted that Lil Rounds would be the lowest vote-getter but that the judges would save her. Although most agree that her performance was not very strong, I can’t find anyone on the Internet that agrees with my prediction. Most of the sites I read each week have my second choice Michael Sarver getting the boot. And considering he didn’t bring it on a week that was custom-made for him, maybe he should. And as much as Simon likes him, I don’t think the judges would risk losing someone stronger in the future by saving him.

DialIdol.com, however, is predicting that Alexis Grace will be the lowest vote-getter. So, if they’re right, would the judges save her? Honestly, I don’t think so. I’m not even sure they would save Megan at this point if they had to. But would they save Scott MacIntyre, who several Internet sites are saying has a good chance to go home?

Remember, at this point, the judges have two things to consider. Not only are they looking for the next singing superstar, they’re also “casting” the Idol tour…

Which raises another question. If my prediction about Lil is correct—and at this point I highly doubt that it is—what would they do about the tour? Since no one would be eliminated this week, and two would be eliminated the next, would the Top 11 tour? Or would they actually tell one of the eliminated contestants the next week that they made the tour?

One other interesting thing to add fuel to the fire is Megan’s illness. Remember that the Idols are all living in a house together this season. And you all know what it’s like when you share a house with someone who’s sick. During the first season when they were also living in a house together, the illness got so rampant that Kelly Clarkson couldn’t even talk one week and Christina Christian wasn’t even at the results show where she was eliminated. If the illness spreads this year, it could be a serious problem…

I promised you the best season of “Idol” ever, and by golly, I think we’re going to get it…

You won’t want to miss tonight’s show. I promise you that. So set your VCRs/DVRs for “Lost” and I’ll see you at 9 p.m. sharp…