Saturday, March 7, 2009

Megan Joy Corkrey: "I didn't think I was going to make it anywhere"

Megan Joy Corkrey was so short with her answers that it kind of threw some of the reporters for a little bit. And then someone asked her about her tattoo and she finally started opening up…

One of the things that we learned is that Megan would prefer to be called Megan Joy from now on. Corkrey is her ex-husband’s name and she’s looking to start new.

Here’s some more of what Megan had to say on her media conference call Friday…

On her dancing: “I really don’t know why that happens. When I start singing I just sort of flop around.”

On her musical influences: “My number one influence is Bjork. She just changed my life. Her music is so beautiful, it’s different and original. It’s so emotional. And I just love it.”

On having a fourth judge: “It’s been pretty crazy. It’s exciting to have a fourth judge. And Kara’s tough. But I’m all about it.”

On what song she would like to do: “If I was allowed to, I would sing any Bjork song.” Later during the call, a reporter asked her how she thought the judges would react to her doing Bjork on the show. “I think they would criticize it a lot. It couldn’t be anything too crazy or weird.”

On her sleeve tattoo: “It’s a castle. There’s a night sky above it. In the stained glass, it’s my fairy tale. There’s a king and a queen and that’s me and who knows. There’s a fairy godmother, my mother; a wizard, my brother; and a prince, my son. And then there’s roses growing up the castle.” Megan designed the tattoo herself with the help of her artist who drew it up for her. The sleeve is not complete but it’s taken two years up to this point.

Megan actually has seven tattoos total if you count the sleeve as one tattoo. She has her son’s name on her wrist, two stars on her back for her and her mom, her middle name on her hip and a “jumble of things I love” on her feet.

On making it through: “I didn’t think I was going to make it through the first thing. I never even made a solo in choir, so I didn’t think I was going to make it anywhere.”

On what theme would give her trouble: “I’m a little unsure with country week. I’m gonna do it though. I’ll tear it up.”
Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX