Monday, March 9, 2009

Is the Big Surprise a Sing-Off?

So I know you guys are probably getting tired of me trying to guess the “big surprise,” but I think you all know me well enough by now to know that I hate the unknown.

But because I don’t want to beat a dead horse, I’m going to make this my final guess…

This was actually my very first guess as soon as I read Mike Darnell’s comments in January, but I was so opposed to it that I didn’t dare put it out in the universe. But since someone else now has, I will as well…

Could the “big surprise” be a sing-off? Meaning, will the bottom two or three be able to sing one more time with the judges determining who goes home?

That is the way Simon Cowell’s “X-Factor” works and “Dancing With the Stars” has added that element as well. And Darnell did say that the big surprise had a little bit of “controversy” to it…

Personally, I hope I’m wrong here, because I think this would take away what makes “Idol” what it is—that the choice is up to America. If a person is last in the voting, that’s because America put them there. And they should go home, regardless of what the judges think. That’s what makes “Idol” interesting.

Of course, you know that the show wouldn’t tell us which contestant actually finished last so we wouldn’t get upset if that person didn’t go home, but still…

What do you guys think about this possibility? And do you think that I’m just barking up the wrong tree here with my guess?