Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lil Rounds: "I think you're going to enjoy it."

It’s obvious from hearing her on the phone that Lil Rounds is a pretty confident young lady who’s just looking for a better life for her family.

So it’s easy to understand why the judges would be so excited about her. I just wish they would stop shoving her down our throats…

A lot of the contestants worked the club circuit before “Idol,” but Lil “came right out of church. It’s pretty much where I was.”

And by the way, Lil is not short for anything, it’s her given name. It’s short for her grandmother’s name.

Here are some other things she had to say Thursday during her media conference call:

On whether she was nervous before the results show: “The whole day [Wednesday] I was really nervous. I put my best foot forward but in the end it’s still up to America…You really don’t know what America wants until Ryan reveals the results.”

On hearing she had made it: “I was jumping for joy.”

On what she’ll do on the show from here on out: “I’m going to continue to entertain. I’m going to continue to remain Lil. I think you’re going to enjoy it.”

On going last: “It was not too much pressure, it was more so nerves. I really had to calm myself. I put my best foot forward. I think it paid off in the end.”

On her strategy: “I just need to go out there and do what I do best. If we all go out there like it’s the last time, we’ll all do great.”

If she could choose a mentor, it would be Stevie Wonder.

On her choice of “Be Without You”: “I have to go with songs that I can relate to the meaning of the song. What comes from the heart reaches the heart. That song reminds me of my husband and children.”

On the judges: “When the judges give their thoughts, it’s coming from the heart.”

On the show featuring some people more than others: “I really feel like they have given a great chance to everyone in the Top 36. I look at it like we all have done something successful.”

On Simon Cowell: “I feel like he’s an honest person. I’ve sang consistent and I’m singing with heart. Simon Cowell has a heart. As long as I continue to do my best, he’ll hopefully continue to say good job.”

On her fashion sense: “If I see something that catches my eye, I grab it and I wear it.”

In her closing remarks to the media, Lil said, “Thank you so much for your support.
Hopefully I’ll be around for—as Paula said—many more Lil Rounds.”

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX