Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Motown Week: What Should They Sing?

Those of you who have read any of my CD reviews know that I’m a big fan of Motown, so I’m cautiously optimistic about Wednesday’s episode. I say cautiously because there’s always the chance we’ll get nothing but Stevie Wonder songs. Which of course means two hours of Randy telling contestants that Stevie is untouchable…

And speaking of the judges, what is Kara going to do when she can’t tell people to sing Carrie Underwood or Rihanna?...

So what should they sing? Since we’re down to the Top 10 and it’s a theme I can relate to, allow me to put in my requests.

Now, I’m aware that I’m too late to actually make these happen, but I’m not going to let that little detail stop me…

Danny Gokey: “(I Know) I’m Losing You” by The Temptations
Of course I want my favorite contestant to do my favorite Motown song, but as I told you before, I really have a Boyz II Men “End of the Road” vibe with Danny. And I’m not sure the band could do this one justice anyway.

Megan Joy: “Do You Love Me” by The Contours
Honestly, does it really matter what Megan sings? And with this one, she can actually incorporate some of those goofy dance moves.

Allison Iraheta: “Dancing In the Street” by Martha & the Vandellas
This is a familiar one that she can add her rock edge too. If she doesn’t like that one, let me also suggest “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” or “Love Child,” both by The Supremes.

Matt Giraud: “Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home)” by Marvin Gaye
This is a great soul song that Taylor Hicks nailed on his first CD. I think maybe Matt could do it justice as well.

Michael Sarver, “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” by The Temptations
I know that Michael’s attempt at doing something other than a ballad didn’t work last week, but this song could show some real soul—if done correctly. I’m not sure Michael has the vocal chops to pull it off, but I’d kind of like to see him try.

Scott MacIntyre, “Say You, Say Me” by Lionel Richie
Since we know that Scott is going to play the piano, I was trying to think of a song with a good piano part and this one has that without being a maudlin ballad. “Hello” was actually the first one I thought of, but I think it’s too soon after David Cook’s version to go with that one. Stevie Wonder might be the obvious thought, but I think that’s just too gimmicky.

Adam Lambert, “I Wish It Would Rain” by The Temptations
The Temptations’ “Ball of Confusion (That’s What the World Is Today)” was the very first song I thought of for Adam since it fits right in with his dramatic style, but I think it may be time to attempt a ballad and this one has some nice dramatic moments for him. If he doesn’t like those first two choices, he could go with “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” also from the Temps. But I’ve got a vibe from him for Edwin Starr’s “War” for some reason. The director would have a field day with that one.

Lil Rounds: “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me” by Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations
What better way for Lil to get back to being an R&B diva than to channel Diana Ross? And this one’s got diva written all over it. But I wonder if Lil will prefer Ross’ “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”?

Kris Allen: “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)” by Marvin Gaye
I’d love to see Kris get his guitar back out and do something soft and easy like this one.

Anoop Desai: “Let’s Get It On” by Marvin Gaye
If there’s anyone that can pull this one off and make the audience love it, it’s Anoop. Simon would say it’s “self-indulgent rubbish,” but who cares? It would be fun.

As I told you earlier, the Idols met with Smokey Robinson and Berry Gordy at Hitsville U.S.A. in Detroit on Thursday. I’m not sure if either one of them is an actual mentor this week, but Smokey is performing on Thursday’s show.

Ruben Studdard will also be in the house Thursday to sing his new single, “Together”…

You may also remember that the last time “Idol” did a Motown show the legendary Funk Brothers (Motown’s in-house band) actually backed up the contestants. No word on whether that will happen again this week or not, but my guess is no since they completely overwhelmed a couple of the contestants who weren’t used to such a strong band behind them…

I’ll be back on Wednesday. I have to get back to my to do list for this rare Tuesday off…

In the meantime, are you guys as excited about Motown Week as I am? What would you like to hear the Top 10 sing?

Photo Credit: Ray Mickshaw/FOX