Monday, March 9, 2009

Taylor Hicks CD Review: Proud to Say I Like It

It’s not a popular sentiment these days, what with Simon using him as an insult and “Entertainment Weekly” calling him “worst Idol ever,” but I’m going to say it anyway…

I like Taylor Hicks.

I still contend that “Taylor Hicks” was a great CD, so I was actually excited to hear his long-awaited follow-up, “The Distance.”

And, yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to say I liked it. And having read some of the other reviews, I know that’s not a popular sentiment either…

The minute I heard the opening notes of “The Distance,” which Taylor co-wrote, I had to smile. It’s classic Taylor with soulful verses and a gospel-sounding chorus…

The first single, “What’s Right Is Right,” is as smooth as butter as Taylor glides through the simple but sweet chorus…

With lyrics like “New found freedom/gonna spread my wings and fly,” you can’t help but think that Taylor had something in mind when he co-wrote the next track, “New Found Freedom.” Those lyrics get a little hokey with too much repetition, but it’s still pretty good…

“Nineteen” is Taylor’s first story song on the CD. It’s about an all-American boy who joined the military after 9/11. I think this one will get a big reaction during concerts because it is a good one…

But then the CD comes to a little bit of a halt with “Once Upon a Lover,” which goes for a different kind of sound—calypso, I think—that just doesn’t work for me, even with Taylor’s excellent vocal…

The CD gets back on track, though, with “Seven Mile Breakdown,” which gives us that harder Southern soul sound…

Then, it’s back to a ballad with “Maybe You Should,” a gorgeous breakup song that I think Taylor should seriously consider taking country. I can see the video already…

“Keepin’ It Real” is another story song meant to be a whimsical look at fame, but it just doesn’t quite work for me—probably because it doesn’t really show off Taylor’s vocals…

“I Live on a Battlefield” was originally recorded by Nick Lowe. But when I saw that Paul Carrack co-wrote it with Lowe, it made me realize just how much of a Carrack quality Taylor has to his voice. So this song completely works for him. I hope he’ll consider covering “Tempted” for his next CD…

“Wedding Day Blues” is meant to be a fun song about a guy getting his woman back on her wedding day to another man. It’s so-so on the CD, but I think it will work much better live…

To close out the CD, Taylor gets a perfect singing partner in the form of his fellow season five “American Idol” contestant Elliott Yamin on the Bobby Womack song “Woman’s Got to Have It.” It’s a good song and it makes you think of the possibilities if these two ever decided to join forces on a tour…

I have to admit I was a little disappointed about one thing. I kept waiting for Taylor to throw it down and give us a real rocking number like he did on his last CD with “Heaven Knows” or “Soul Thing,” but that song never came. That disappointment isn’t enough to make me dislike the CD, though, it’s just something I missed a little bit…

It may not be cool to be a fan of Taylor Hicks, but I am proud to say I am one anyway.

And besides, when have I ever been cool?

“The Distance” hits stores Tuesday, March 10th…

Photo Credit: Modern Whomp Records