Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Blake Beat Boxes and LaKisha tries to "Stay Alive"

Blake Lewis, “You Should Be Dancing”: 18
I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I agree with Paula. I thought his beat-boxing saved his singing. And was it the echo effect on the mike or was Blake slurring some of his words? I didn’t like his da-a-a-ancing, but I liked his do-do-dos in the middle. And I like the streaks…

LaKisha Jones, “Stayin’ Alive”: 17
It seems like the zillionth time I’ve asked this with her, but why did she ignore her coaching? Barry was right that she should’ve left the lower register and sang the melody. And could this be another one of those ironic exit songs in the making?...

Arranger Michael Orland told “Entertainment Weekly” once that the Idols do try it the coach’s way, but if they’re not comfortable with it, they’ll go back to their way. It seems like LaKisha does that more than anyone else…