Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Upon Further Review...

Before I went to sleep last night, I rewound the tape and listened to Blake and Jordin's performances of "This Is My Now."

And after giving them a second listen, I have to say that I agree with Jim. Blake's version was better. Jordin screeched through the entire first verse and the middle was a little shaky as well. But her version had those glory notes at the end that made her sound better.

Maybe because Blake's not used to that style he didn't know that he needed a glory note to give the fans a chance to stand and scream. His arranger should have known, though...

Which leads me to another point. I said in my post last night that I wasn't sure that Blake and the band were doing the same song. It's clear after a second listen that they weren't. For whatever reason--a miscommunication, a misunderstanding, or some kind of blunder--that Blake was going one direction with the song while the band--and specifically the backup singers--were going another.

This week, Michael Orland, the main "Idol" arranger was working with Jordin, while Blake worked with someone else. I can't help but think that's what cost Blake in the end...

And don't forget that Blake had the chance to go last so that Jordin's version wasn't the last thing they remember, but he didn't take it...

And while I'm on last night's show, did anyone else notice that while all of the other Top 10 contestants were in full view, Melinda was nowhere to be seen? I wonder if that was done purposely so that viewers wouldn't be reminded that the "best singer" wasn't in the finale...

I'll keep you updated on all the latest news today, so be sure to keep checking...