There’s a discussion going on all over the Internet this week and I wanted to get all of your thoughts on it…
There’s an expression in the world of TV called “jump the shark.” It refers to the moment when a TV show starts to go downhill. For example, most people would say that “Frasier” jumped the shark when Niles and Daphne became a couple…
Now, LOTS of people are saying that this is the year “American Idol” jumped the shark. And the decline in ratings (This year’s finale was down 16% from last year.) seems to add some substance to the argument.
Here are some of the reasons people are citing…
1) The stretching out of the bad audition shows
2) A less talented group of finalists than last year
3) The hour-long stallfests featuring recorded performances
4) “Idol Gives Back,” which some people compare to the “a very special episode” category of
jumping the shark
5) The elimination of Melinda, the show’s best singer
So what do you think? Did “Idol” jump the shark this year? Will you be back next year?