Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Final Thoughts On the Night...

As usual, my hero, Denise, and I texted back and forth throughout the entire two hours. After Nick Mitchell made it through and Jamar didn’t, she texted me that she didn’t know what was up with this season. I responded, “I don’t know what to say”…

And then I remembered I have to say something. You guys are counting on me. But what to say…

I just checked my e-mail and RT, my second favorite Canadian sent me a message. I haven’t read it yet, but her subject line says it all: American Idol Season 8…has just jumped the shark…

For those of you who are not familiar with the term, “jump the shark” refers to the moment when a TV show goes down the tubes. For example, most people believe that “Frasier” jumped the shark when Niles and Daphne got together. Going back even further, people see the introduction of Cousin Oliver as the jump the shark moment for “The Brady Bunch.” Those shows may have continued after those moments, but they were never the same.

So did “Idol” jump the shark when Nick and Tatiana went through?

I promised you guys the best season ever. So I really don’t want to say yes, but…

Remember what I said yesterday. First and foremost “Idol” is a television show. Each season has had contestants that were clearly more for entertainment than talent—Danny Noriega, John Stephens, and of course, Sanjaya Malakar. So it really shouldn’t be any surprise that “Idol” would let through Nick Mitchell/Norman Gentile and Tatiana Del Toro. But it still hurts…

Maybe it’s because this is supposed to be the season “Idol” turns it around. And doing stuff like this just isn’t going to make that happen…

But before I say something I might regret about the show I love, I’m going to say good night and find out who the final four are on my beloved “Top Chef.” I’ll have much more for you tomorrow…