Thursday, January 17, 2008

Auditions Day Two: “We Are Brothers Forever”

Okay, so you guys had to know I’d be late with this recap. I mean, after all, Wednesday is “Project Runway”night.

So here are my thoughts on last night’s show, as I wrote them down while watching…

Is it just me, or is Taylor Hicks missing from the opening credits?...

Why do I think that most of the people watching completely missed the “Dallas” opening credits references?...

Wow! They are REALLY going for the heartstrings this year, aren’t they? A former meth addict? I have a feeling we’ll see Jessica (“I’ll Stand By You”) later. But where were those “pitchy problems” Randy was talking about? I didn’t hear them…

Couldn’t you see Paul (“Wait For You”) on a stage somewhere? And I loved Simon’s impersonation…

What in the world was that guy and girl singing?...

That stuff between Bruce (“Ain’t No Sunshine”) and his dad might have been sweet if it wasn’t so creepy. And they passed? I liked him…

I think Simon’s got a crush on that chick who did Gladys Knight…

I was scared by Brandon (“Rich Girl”) until he ripped out the Hall and Oates. But he needs to stop it with the fingernail peeling—or at least saving them…

Kayla (“Piece of My Heart”) should join a Janis Joplin tribute show. I thought she sang a lot like her. But what was Simon doing letting her through? I guess he wanted to spice things up a little…

So why didn’t Katie (the Britney voice imitator) just start with “Unchained Melody”? I mean, that is Simon’s favorite song and she nailed it…

Why did Douglas’ song (“Livin’ On a Prayer”) sound like he was yawning? And what in the world was that second song? These are the auditions that make me squirm…

Okay, forget Angela (“Baby Love”). Her husband, Chad, was GORGEOUS! They should’ve asked if he could sing…

Kyle (“Somebody to Love”) could actually sing better than I thought he’d be able to. But I didn’t think he was good enough to impress Simon. I think Simon’s hoping he’s another Clay...

And speaking of Clay, what was up with Simon dissing him for changing his look? Does Simon actually think he would have gotten as far as he did without doing that?...

What is up with everybody getting song titles wrong this year?...

I think I just picked my early favorite. Colton Swon. I like his voice and his look, but he needs some more eye contact with me…

I’m glad they let Drew (George Strait) through. He’ll be fun…

Kyle (“Never Again”) actually works with kids? Yikes…

Poor Nina (“Run to You”). She’s all nervous and she has to stand there and listen to the judges fight before she can sing. But Simon said no? She’s gorgeous!...

Renaldo (“We Are Brothers Forever”) really shouldn’t have been funny. But yet he was. I think he could be the next William Hung with that song. I dare you to go to bed tonight without humming it…

But Simon as “Heaven’s Chosen”? That’s a little scary…

24 people made it through to Hollywood from Big D. And now we head to the city the judges have called the best, San Diego…

But just remember, “I am your brother…”