Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Paula Haters Come Out of the Woodwork

What is up with all of the Paula Abdul haters today?

Yes, I mentioned Paula’s hiccup in my post about last night’s auditions because I thought it was funny, not because I thought she was drunk.

Apparently, I’m one of the few bloggers out there who didn’t make that connection. Several blogs are talking about how “drunk Paula is back.”

So every time someone hiccups it means they’re drunk? Wow! I must be drunk all of the time then…

I’m sorry, but I just didn’t see any evidence. Yes, she looked tired, but who knows how long she had to sit on the plane (And if you’ve seen “Hey Paula!” you know she doesn’t sleep on planes very well, especially if her assistants pack the wrong clothes.).

One of the blogs I read referred to her looking at one point like she was asleep. I was practically asleep watching the show myself! I can’t imagine what it was like being there live…

Paula is also getting a lot of flack for her pre-taped Super Bowl pre-game segment. Apparently, the video will be Paula performing in front of an audience (Reports say it was taped January 27th.). The official word from FOX is that the last-minute decision to include Paula kept them from having time to do a live performance. But “OK!” magazine is reporting that Paula is too nervous to do a live performance and her people are too concerned about what might happen.

SO?! I said that weeks ago when I told you it would probably be on tape because of the commercial I heard JANUARY 7TH! Why is everyone acting like this is big news? No one would be making a big deal out of this if it hadn’t been for those reports that Paula was going to sing at halftime, which—I’m sorry, Mike—was just Ausiello taking a giant shot in the dark (Tom Petty was announced as the halftime act months ago.). Of course, she’s nervous. She hasn’t released any new material in over a decade. I would be nervous too!

And the hubbub over a hiccup just proves her point…

Personally, I think it would be better if they just premiered the video (which features Randy, Ryan and Simon), but that bad choice doesn’t warrant all the crap she’s getting this week…

I don’t mean to sound like the president of the Paula Abdul fan club, but I think everyone just needs to back off. The song is really good and I would love to see Paula make a comeback.

Obviously, there are a lot of people who don’t agree…

By the way, you can see a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the actual music video here.