Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Breaking News: Is Rickey Minor Leaving "Idol"?

Allow me to interrupt your morning with this breaking news…

TMZ.com is reporting that Rickey Minor, the “Idol” music director and leader of the band, is leaving the show to become the new band leader/music director of “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.”

Hmmm…

TMZ says that NBC has confirmed the story and that Rickey will start his new duties June 7th. Kevin Eubanks announced Monday on “Tonight” that his last show will be May 28th.

I like Rickey and he has done A LOT of good work in the music business, but I just can’t imagine that he’ll be happy with only playing little clips of music in and out of commercials. Maybe I’m mistaken.

Of course, I guess the bigger question is why he would leave “Idol.” Maybe the grind has finally gotten to him. Or maybe, he knows with Simon leaving it’s just time to go.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled day…