Sunday, May 31, 2009

LaKisha Jones CD Review: Fans Will Like It, But...

As I’ve already told you, LaKisha Jones’ first CD, “So Glad I’m Me,” hit stores May 19th. But you’ve probably been wondering why I haven’t done a review of the CD. After all, I’ve had it since before it hit stores.

But every time I sat down to write it, LaKisha’s smiling face on the CD cover stopped me in my tracks.

You see, I didn’t like it. And LaKisha is such a sweetheart, I just couldn’t bring myself to say it. But I believe you guys take the time out of your day to read this blog to get my honest opinions, not for me to mince words to be nice to someone who was nice to me.

And in all honesty, the CD starts out fine and continues that momentum through the entire first half. But the second half sounds a little too much like the first and things turn a tad bit boring…

And then there’s the fact that the CD is all over the place. It feels like LaKisha is just trying to stuff in as many genres as she can as she switches from contemporary Christian to R&B and back. When LaKisha told me that the CD was “little chapters” in the story of her life, that helped it make a little more sense to me. But I think LaKisha would be much better served sticking to one genre.

Personally, I would make that genre contemporary Christian since those songs are the best on the CD…

LaKisha does sound great, though, so if you’re a fan you’ll still enjoy it. But I think even fans will feel like more could have been done to showcase LaKisha’s talent.

“So Glad I’m Me” is available now…