Monday, April 13, 2009

"Idol" Goes to the Movies: What Should They Sing?

So if the producers had a script for tomorrow night’s “Idol Goes to the Movies” performance show, I think we all know how it would go…

Lil Rounds would choose “I Will Always Love You” or “I Have Nothing” from “The Bodyguard” and would be rewarded for her choice with the pimp spot. She’d hit that final chorus and Paula and Kara would jump to their feet as they clapped and pointed at Lil. Then, the judges—if there was time—would all say that this was the Lil they knew and loved and it was glad to have her back…

But is that how any of us want it to go? How about we avoid “The Bodyguard” and the “Idol” staple, “Against All Odds” (Danny and Anoop, I’m talking to you.) and the sappiness of “I Believe I Can Fly” (Danny and Anoop, again, I’m talking to you.) and do something different?

Here are my song choices for the Top 7:

Lil Rounds: “No More Drama” by Mary J. Blige from “Honey”
Since Mary J. Blige is the name Randy constantly brings up to Lil, why not go with her instead of Whitney? And if Lil insists on going the Whitney route, why not go with “When You Believe” by Whitney and Mariah Carey from “The Prince of Egypt.”

Anoop Desai: “She’s Like the Wind” by Patrick Swayze from “Dirty Dancing”
I just couldn’t come up with much for Anoop. I don’t know what it is. I’d love to see Anoop pick up the tempo a little bit this week, I’m just not sure with what. That being said, I think he could do something with this one. However, I can hear Simon calling it a stupid song. I’m still smarting from his diss of “The Search Is Over.”

Danny Gokey, “Maneater” by Hall and Oates from “Runaway Bride”
As I’m sure you guys have noticed, I have fallen out of love with Danny and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s the cockiness he seems to be showing during the results shows. Maybe it’s his recent song choices. I don’t know. But I do know that the fastest way to get back into my good graces is to nail a Hall and Oates song.

Matt Giraud, “Georgia On My Mind” by Ray Charles from “Ray”
Since this was the song that first turned our heads when we got a small snippet of it from Hollywood Week, why not do it again on the big stage? And in all honesty, if anyone can pull off “I Believe I Can Fly” it’s Matt. I would just rather he didn’t.

Kris Allen: “True To Your Heart” by 98 Degrees from “Mulan”
I said once before that Kris sounds like Nick Lachey, so why not do Nick Lachey? I love this song and it’s just catchy enough to earn back any fans that Kris may have lost with that weird jazz number last week.

Adam Lambert, “I Still Believe” by Tim Capello from “The Lost Boys”
Honestly, Adam needs no suggestions at this point, and no doubt Simon would call this one self-indulgent, but I’d love to see him do it. However, I don’t know how Adam can stay away from “Bohemian Rhapsody” from “Wayne’s World.”

Allison Iraheta, “Holding Out for a Hero” by Bonnie Tyler from “Footloose”/“Bandits”
This is the one I’m REALLY hoping to hear because I know Allison could absolutely nail it and I’ve been waiting for an “Idol” contestant to take it on. But if she doesn’t like that one, Allison could also rock out Pat Benatar’s “Invincible” from “The Legend of Billie Jean” or “Love Is A Battlefield” from “13 Going On 30.” Or she could do Tina Turner’s “We Don’t Need Another Hero” from “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.”

So now it’s your turn. What would you like to hear the Idols sing? Or maybe not sing?

And don’t forget you can read more of my thoughts in Tuesday’s “Herald-Dispatch”…

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX