Thursday, April 2, 2009

Megan Joy: "I had no expectations"

Let me just say that I completely understand why Megan Joy would want to go home. It’s been a couple months since she’s seen her son and she won’t see him again until Wednesday. But I still don’t understand her behavior during Wednesday’s show. And nothing she said during today’s conference call did anything to change my mind…

Here’s a sample of what Megan had to say…

On whether she wished she could take back saying she didn’t care: “No regrets ever. I wouldn’t take anything back. I was happy to go the way I did…I cared about the competition, I just didn’t care that Simon didn’t like my song.”

On why the flapping and cawing: “I love birds and bird noises and I just decided if I’m going out I’m going out with a bang. I’ll just be myself.” Megan said her fellow contestants actually brought up cawing first because she’s always making animal noises.

On who in the mansion made her laugh: “Every single person is really funny. It’s really fun. Allison has been my roommate. From the minute we wake up, she makes me laugh.”

On her brother, C.J., who heckled Kara Tuesday night: “I’m always proud of my brother. He can’t help but be himself. I was glad Kara ended up taking it in jest…We do hear that comment a lot and it’s like, we already know that.” Megan said that when Kara talked to C.J. she was like, “How dare you? Who do you think you are? Who are you?” And then when she realized who he was it was, “Oh, I see.”

On what she learned from the experience: “I learned that there’s always going to be negative people trying to bring you down and you have to work past it.”

On how long she’ll pursue music: “As long as I can. Whatever people want from me, I’m so excited to give it.”

On how far she thought she’d go: “I just thought whatever’s supposed to happen will happen. I wanted to make the tour. That was my goal. But I had no expectations.”

On doing her song after Simon’s speech about not saving her: “It was far more easier because I didn’t care if I messed up. I could sing it right at ‘em.”

On whether she was relieved to leave: “As sad as I am that I’m leaving, there is a really big part of me that can’t wait to see my son.”

On whether Simon turned on her: “I think his opinion of me changed a little bit and he was pretty hard on me. I think he still likes me, just maybe not for the show. I’ve got no beef with Simon and I don’t really think he’s got one with me.”

On her favorite “Idol” moment: “The night that I was sick. The miracle that I actually got through my song.” Megan said she was on IVs until a half an hour before her song.

Her message to her fans: “I love you beyond words.”

On what the judges said to her after the show: “They said that they loved me and that great things are going to happen.”

On her goodbye dinner: “They roasted me. It was a great, great night. They cawed at me a lot and made fun of me a little bit.

On the advice she’d give future “Idol” contestants: “Follow your dreams. Don’t worry about people’s opinions and negativity.” However, Megan said she avoided the blogs, so I guess she was just referring to the judges.

On whether she thought the judges would save her: “I really woke up feeling like I was going home no matter what.”

On what kind of music she’d like to record: “I’ve never tried to write before. I’m excited to see what comes out of me.”

On why she chose the Bob Marley song: “I love it and it’s one that I feel. It’s kind of a part of me.” Next week, Megan planned to sing “Separate Lives” by Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin.

Okay, what?!

On her musical influences: “I grew up listening to Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. In my teen years, I fell in love with Bjork and she changed my life.”

On what she’ll miss about the show: “I’ll miss the people that were a part of my life.” Megan plans to commemorate the experience by getting her lucky ring tattooed on her ribs.

Now we can all look forward to seeing Megan’s big number on the tour during which she’ll swoop across the stage flapping her arms and cawing at the audience…

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX