Monday, April 6, 2009

The Top 8: What Should They Sing?

This week’s theme is a personal favorite, “Songs From the Year You Were Born.” So I figured I would take some time to come up with some suggestions for the contestants…

And since I’m always hoping someone will rip out some Hall and Oates, I’ve thrown in some bonus Hall and Oates tunes for some of the Idols.

But before I get to it, let me remind you guys of something important about tomorrow night’s show. Because it’s only an hour, the Top 8 will have less time to sing, which means they’ll have to get right to the heart of their songs to truly impress America and the judges…

So here now are the songs I would like to see them attempt. However, please remember that since the “Idol” website only lists the contestants’ ages and not their actual birthdays (and because FOX ignored my request for those years), I am relying on Wikipedia for the actual birthdates…

Danny Gokey (1980): “You May Be Right” by Billy Joel
I’m not really sure why I went with this one. I just know I want Danny to do something besides a power ballad and I think he can rock a little Billy Joel.
Bonus Hall and Oates Choice: “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’”
Danny would have a hard time with the verse, but if he got to the chorus quickly, I think he could do something with this one.

Adam Lambert (1982): “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell
This song was custom made for Adam and I think he could do something really special with it.
Bonus Hall and Oates Choice: “I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do)”
Adam wouldn’t have much time to do something with this one, but I still think he could.

Kris Allen (1985): “The Search Is Over” by Survivor
This song is gorgeous and I know that Kris could do it justice at the piano.
Bonus Hall and Oates Choice: “Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid”
I really think Kris could rock this lesser known track with just his guitar. If they’d let “Out of Touch” slide as a 1985 song since it hit #1 in December of 1984, I’d LOVE for Kris to do that one with just his guitar.

Scott MacIntyre (1985): “You’re The Inspiration” by Chicago
Is that one just too obvious? I really wanted to go with “Sentimental Street” by Night Ranger, but I don’t think Scott can really pull that one off.

Matt Giraud (1985): “If You Love Somebody Set Them Free” by Sting
As much as I despise this song, I think Matt could do something special with it.

Lil Rounds (1984): “What’s Love Got To Do With It” by Tina Turner or “Let’s Hear It For the Boy” by Deniece Williams. If Lil is going to get any swagger back she’s got to go back to her soul roots. Either one of these would work.

Anoop Desai (1986): “Kyrie” by Mister Mister
I know this one sounds a little strange but I think it would give Anoop a chance to showcase his vocals without coming off like an R&B wannabe. But part of me would really like to see him rip out “We Don’t Have to Take Our Clothes Off” by Jermaine Stewart.
Bonus Daryl Hall Choice: “Dreamtime”
I have no idea whether Anoop can do this one. I’d just really like to see it get a little attention.

Allison Iraheta (1992): “Stay” by Shakespear’s Sister
I’m not sure it matters what Allison sings at this point, because it seems like America is against her no matter what. So why not do this one (although the time constraint wouldn’t give her much time to make the tempo changeover)? Of course, if she really wants to polarize America, she could go with “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana, “D—n, I Wish I Was Your Lover” by Sophie B. Hawkins or “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen (Remember that it was re-released in 1992).

By the way, Kellie Pickler will be the former Idol returning for Wednesday’s results show. No word from FOX on who will be the other artist performing, but my guess is it will be Miley Cyrus, who recorded a performance of “The Climb” last week, since “Hannah Montana: The Movie” premieres this weekend…

So what do you guys think the Idols should sing? Any faves you’d like to hear them attempt, or maybe stay away from?

And don't forget that you can read more of my thoughts in Tuesday's "Herald-Dispatch"...

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX