Thursday, April 17, 2008

Andrew Lloyd Webber Week: What Should They Sing?

Allow me to thank America once again for eliminating Kristy Lee.

Why? Because she was going to sing “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” next week.

I’m still shuddering just thinking about it…

So what should the remaining Idols sing for Andrew Lloyd Webber week?

First of all, let me admit that I don’t know all that much about Broadway, so I could use a little help from the experts this week (Chuck, I’m talking to you.). But I do know a few Webber tunes, so I’ll make a few picks for you…

You know that someone is going to choose “Memory” from “Cats,” the question is who. Personally, I’d rather they stay away from this one and “Argentina,” but I think the “Cats” number will prove too tempting for one of them--probably Syesha.

But since she’s done so many ballads lately, my choice for Syesha is “Buenos Aires” from “Evita.” It’s spunky and it will give her a chance to show some acting chops. The drawback with that one is you have to show a little cockiness to make it work and that might backfire on her. If she insists on going with a ballad, I might go with something like “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” from “Jesus Christ Superstar.”

You know I’ve already put in my request for David A. to sing “Close Every Door” from “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.” But I’m starting to think that maybe David C. could nail that one too.

My first thought for David C. was “Jesus Christ Superstar.” But I’m thinking now that taken out of context, that song could really hurt him. I also think he could pull off a cool “Music of the Night” from “Phantom of the Opera.”

Carly needs a song with some attitude, so maybe she should do “Buenos Aires.” I’m never sure what to pick for Jason, and I’m completely over Brooke, so I don’t care what she sings.
What are your choices for this week? Are you as concerned as I am that this could become a boring episode if everyone picks slow songs?…