Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Syesha Believes and Jason Goes "Over the Rainbow"

Syesha Mercado, “I Believe”: 17
During my weekly conversation with Tom in Sarasota, I mentioned to him about LaKisha’s miscue in choosing this song last year and said that Syesha shouldn’t make the same mistake. If only she had been listening. Now, granted she sang it beautifully and I liked her twist with the falsetto (which I think shows she’s in it to win it), but that song is so silly it only works with the full gospel choir and confetti falling from the ceiling. Depending what everyone else does, she could be in trouble. However, I did like her challenging Randy (and so did Simon). It’s about time someone called him on his critiques.

Jason Castro, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”: 16
I love this version of the song, but I just didn’t feel like Jason connected with it at all. You did have to give him props for his ukulele skills though.