Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tonight's Show...

So before I preview tonight’s finale, let me address an opinion that’s been making the rounds today…

There are a lot of people who believe that David Cook “threw the fight” last night, possibly because he didn’t want to be saddled with the “Idol” title.

But I didn’t see that last night. I saw a guy who was giving all he could to songs he wanted to sing—the same thing he did all season. The difference was that Archuleta sang songs that were more appropriate to the moment, and quite frankly, a little safe.

Now, whether Cook wants to win is a different story entirely. But I don’t think he gave up last night. Would a guy who’s trying to give up break down on stage in front of 7100 people and 30 million watching at home? I don’t think so…

On to tonight’s show…

I don’t think I’ve been this excited about a finale since Ruben vs. Clay. I honestly have no idea how it’s going to go. Yes, I know that DialIdol.com and practically every message board I’ve seen says Cook is going to win, but I said weeks ago that no one could beat Archuleta and I can’t really jump off that statement right now.

Plus, although I disagree that it was a “knockout,” I do agree that Archuleta came out on top last night and I just can’t ignore that. But as many on the Internet have said today, the fans have made up their minds long before the final performances and nothing will persuade them to change their votes.

But perhaps Simon’s comments persuaded some Cook fans to vote more times. I know at least one person who falls into that category…

I know, you’re saying, “It doesn’t matter. Look at Daughtry. Cook doesn’t need to win.” But part of Daughtry’s success was that Sony BMG/19 were looking for another “Idol” artist to market in place of Taylor Hicks. I’m not saying Daughtry didn’t make a good CD, I’m just saying that he got a lot of support a lot of other non-winners don’t. I’m concerned that without the title, Cook won’t get the support he deserves a la Blake and Bo…

As for the two-hour show tonight, there are so many rumors about who’s going to be there that I’m not even going to try to sort them out for you. We can just all find out together whether George Michael or Michael Jackson is making an appearance.

Remember, however, that last year’s show ran long (angering even Jay Leno), so if you’re taping, be sure to allow extra time.

I’ll be back around 7:45 to guide you through the two plus hours, so I hope you’ll join me then.

We’re almost at the finish, gang. Just two more hours to go…