Friday, May 23, 2008

Cougars for Cook?

So, how did the favorite end up getting upset? Speculation is that cougars my have swayed the vote…

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, cougar refers to (according to Wiktionary) “a woman of middle age who actively seeks the casual companionship of younger (typically under 30 years old) males.”

Tuesday in the “Idol” audience, a woman held up a sign reading, “Cougars for Cook.” And today, the Associated Press ran a story detailing how middle-aged women may have swayed the vote.

Linda Sharp, a 42-year-old mom, told the AP, “The biggest thing: He’s legal, and that goes a long way. He’s 25. That’s old enough that we can openly ogle him, and we can drool over him, and it doesn’t make us feel like we could be his mother.”

Alrighty then…

Sharp writes “Idol” recaps on her blog “Don’t Get Me Started,” which is popular with soccer moms. When she posted Cook’s “Guitar Hero” commercial, commenters said, “Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Need I say more?” and “Have I died? Is this heaven? I’ll take it!”

Even I don’t love him that much…

So, what evidence do we have that these women affected the vote? The ratings. According to the AP, the biggest drop in “Idol” viewers was among women ages 18-34 and teenagers 12-17--Archie’s demos. Also, “Idol” viewership has risen among people ages 50 and over and the median age of “Idol” viewers is now 42--apparently Cook’s demos…

As Sharp told the AP, “I’m exposed to the Jonas Brothers and the ‘High School Musical’ crowd and all of that, but as cute as I might think they are, they do make me feel maternal — not hot,” Sharp said. “So watching David Cook, I think that’s been a huge appeal for thirty/forty/fiftysomethings that ’We’re not dead.’ We might drive the soccer minivan, (but) we’re just picky about what perks us up.”

Okay, I’m going to stop creeping you out now…