Friday, May 9, 2008

Clay Aiken vs. Neil Diamond: Looks Like I'm the Loser

It was a nice thought, but it looks like my fiancé has this one all sewn up…

“Billboard” reported yesterday that Neil Diamond’s new CD is on track to debut at #1—his first #1 album of his career. The magazine reports that Clay will debut in the top ten, but it looks like his sales will be a ways away from Diamond’s. We’ll get the final numbers on Wednesday.

Now, in Clay’s defense, Diamond did get a head start, appearing on all of the major shows the week before his album came out, while Clay is doing most of his major appearances afterward.

And I think we all know that Diamond owes the “American Idol” producers a huge thank you.

The week’s not over, so you can still do your part to help Clay. And right now at Amazon.com, his CD is only $7.99.

By the way, Clay ranks #3 at Amazon behind Madonna and, yes, Neil Diamond.

And while I’m on the subject of Clay’s CD, let me clarify something that some Claymates called me on earlier this week. I did not mean to say that the CD would only appeal to Clay’s fans. The CD will appeal to anyone who loves amazing vocals and beautiful pop melodies.

To illustrate that point, I leave you with my favorite song from the CD and my current music obsession. I’m probably going to have to download it from iTunes just to tide me over until my QVC shipment gets here.

Even if you don’t consider yourself a Claymate, it is absolutely worth the listen. Be sure to let me know what you think.