Monday, May 5, 2008

John Rich (?) Goes After "Idol"

After watching him in “Gone Country” I became a fan of John Rich. But now? I’m not so sure…
Rich used the NBC “All-American Summer” press day (He’ll be a judge on “Nashville Star.”) to trash “American Idol.”

Referring to Paula’s mistake on last week’s show, Rich told reporters (as detailed in “The Hollywood Reporter”):

“‘American Idol’ infuriates me as an artist. They’re being fake about it. When you can’t make a cognizant comment about someone’s performance and you’re commenting on something that happened the day before, why don’t you just walk up onstage and slap them right across the face while you’re at it? As an artist, I would just flip them the bird and walk off the stage…She wasn’t even paying attention to what was going on.”

But Rich didn’t stop there. He said the “Idol” ratings were declining because the show was not real. “We have to respect the fans’ ears and eyes and give them something that’s for real. Don’t try to con them. And I think that’s why ‘American Idol,’ in my opinion, is just dive-bombing. I can’t stand watching it, I wouldn’t want to be on that show now if you gave me a $100 bill.”

But what if they gave him $200, huh? Why do I think Rich has some ax to grind here? Or is he just starting his own PR campaign for “Nashville Star” by attacking the show that helped give birth to it?

And do you think that Rich knew Simon Cowell was at the same event?

Interestingly, Rich didn’t have a problem with “Idol” last April when he attended a taping, told the producers, judges and performers that he enjoyed the show and did an interview with “American Idol Extra,” where he voiced nothing but compliments. FOX issued a statement to share that information and to call his comments “opportunistic” and “disturbing”…

By the way, Simon defended Paula at the press day saying, “she made a mistake” and disagreeing that she owed Jason Castro an apology. Simon added, “The year [“Idol”] becomes normal is the year I leave. I genuinely like it when it’s a bit loopy”…

I bet a Big and Rich week could make it even more loopy. I say we try that next year…