Wednesday, May 7, 2008

More of the Wisdom of Simon

I bet NBC loved hearing all the “Idol” questions during its own press event. But that’s what you get when you trot out Simon Cowell.

Here’s what Simon had to say about “Idol” when he was supposed to be talking about “America’s Got Talent” (as reported on TVGuide.com)…

On David vs. David: “It’s what I genuinely believe will happen. I think you’re going to have a real scrap on the night. Without either of them being a red-hot favorite, [the winner] will be [determined by] what happens on the night, and that’s what the show is all about…I think David Cook has got the best voice and David Archuleta’s got the teen and the gran[dma] appeal. [They’re] very equal.”

On Andrew Lloyd Webber Week: “I didn’t really see the point because I use it as a criticism on the show that you are going to end up on Broadway. We aren’t looking for a Broadway singer. I want like a Leona Lewis, a contemporary recording artist who’s going to sell a lot of records. I’m not looking for someone to be in ‘The Wiz.’”

On plans to possibly revamp the show: “You have to wait and see. It’s a surprise.”

Simon also commented on how safe the contestants are playing it this year, especially when it comes to talking to him, saying, “I like people who go a bit crazy sometimes. I’m dying for someone to scream at me one week and say, ‘I hate your guts.’ I know they are thinking it”…